Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The lion sleeps tonight...

A few weeks ago, a nice dog wandered up to the house. She clearly wasn't a professional stray, and she was amazing with the kids, but she didn't have any identifying tags. With some calling around, Elyssa was pretty sure she'd tracked down the owner. She called, and describing the dog, asked if it belonged to the woman on the phone.
"I don't know." said the lady, "Is her name Phyllis?"
Elyssa hasn't thought to ask. But sure enough, the friendly neighbor came by and identified her beloved Phyllis, bringing her home. Since then, Phyllis has been a welcome and frequent visitor.
With the kids playing outside yesterday, I suddenly heard them scream, "Phyllis is back!" She stayed and played, until a nasty storm rolled in. Not wanting her to be out in the storm, we invited Phillis inside. I'd almost forgotten she was here (she's a great, relaxed little dog), when I began to hear the sound of soft singing coming from the kitchen. This is what I found:

YouTube Video


(If you were paying close attention, Phyllis is so relaxed that she makes a subtle "noise" at the very end. I thought about cutting that out, but what the heck) Anyway, Avery had done this all herself. The pillow from her bed, the special towel from under the sink that we reserve for drying off Butters after a swim...and somehow this dog was fast asleep. On a pillow.
Later that night at Avery's bedtime, she was incredibly sad that we had to leave Phillis outside. I guess I figured she'd walk home like she always does. But there she was, waiting at the door.




This dog is so human, I just asked her if she wanted to come in and wake up Avery. The babysitter who had just arrived thought I was nuts. But Phyllis came in an trotted back to Avery's room. I opened the door and she hopped up on Avery's bed, licked her nose and sat down next to her - Avery squealed, "Phyllis - silly dog. You did spend the night!"